The beginning of the year is a great time to do a little wardrobe detox. The idea is that your wardrobe becomes a fun and organised place for you to go shopping from each day and in turn makes deciding what to wear easier. This process is very good as it gives you a chance to really hone in on your personal style and ensure that the clothes you own represnt you the best way possible. Sorting through your wardrobe can often seem like a daunting task which is why people enlist my help, however if you are going to tackle it on your own I have put together a few of my top tips below.
1. Have your bed clear and start pulling clothes out and sorting into piles-
Keep pile, charity pile, sell pile. The sell pile will allow you to then buy some new pieces that you might need in order to give your wardrobe the wow factor, and the charity pile will be helping the less fortunate- that's got to make you feel good right?
2. If you haven't worn it in over a year and it dosen't have sentimental value then it's time to let it go. The object is to keep clothing that really makes you feel amazing when you wear it. We haven't got time for clothes that just take up room.
3. Do the above steps with your shoes too. Your outfits will thank you for it. No scuffed heels or dated boots in your awesome wardrobe.
4. If you are trying to create more space in your wardrobe then it is a good idea to place items that are not currently in season into a vacuum bag and place under your bed or somewhere convienient. Sound like a mission? It's really not, vacuum bags can be picked up from stores such as plastic box and they are amazing and easy to use. - you can thank me for the suggestion later!
5. Now that you've decided what you are keeping versus what you are selling or giving to charity, it's time to place the winning items back into your wardrobe. It's up to you how you do this but I often suggest catergorising your clothes. For example...all tops hanging together, all skirts hanging together all dresses hanging together etc. Sorting your clothes into catagories makes it easier for you to be able to co-ordinate outfits daily. Other options are sorting into groups such as casualwear, workwear evening wear etc. Whatever works best for you...as long as the end result is an organised wardrobe that allows you to be your most stylish self every day.
When I go through this process with my clients it's amazing how much better they feel with an organised wardrobe. Another step that we do together is putting together various outfit combinations so that you are able to utilise all of your clothes the best way possible. If you need help with this process then please get in touch with me. It will be fun...I promise.
And if you want to know what essentials every girl needs in her wardrobe check out my previous blog post. x